Thursday, September 17, 2009

San Francisco Food Hot Spots

I just returned from several days in San Francisco where I enjoyed great meals at several of the city's hot spots.

A16 - despite Chef Nate Appleman's departure, A16 continues to serve up outstanding dishes. I sat at the Chef's counter and observed masterful cooking in the 800 degree wood fired oven. I sampled two appetizers - the roasted chanterelle mushrooms, and the roasted peppers. The chanterelles were wonderful - perfectly cooked, smokey and full flavored. For the entree I tried the squid ink pasta, the ricotta gnocchi and the pork chop. The gnocchi was amazingly light, but still cohesive. The pork chop was probably the best I've ever had - flavorful meat with a thick layer of fat that was roasted into delicious submission. For dessert I had to try the chocolate budino tart with sea salt and olive oil. Although skeptical at first about the salt and olive oil - this dish really came together nicely. Overall, A16 did the local produce schtick very well - the ingredients were still respected but not at the expense of flavor or the success of the overall dish.

Hog Island Oyster Company - if you're in the area on Monday or Thursday, stop in for their happy hour (5-7pm). However, get their by 4:45 to make sure that you get a table or at least a spot at the standing bar. Try the $1 oysters and the 3.5 pints - including my favorite IPA, Racer 5.

R&G - this Chinatown favorite was recently featured in Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Not my favorite restaurant of the trip, but if i was in the mood I might go back.

Cane Rosso - stop in for their great egg sandwich - opens @ 8am.

Taylor's Refresher - great spot for lunch. The ahi tuna burger was fantastic. A generous portion of sushi grade tuna, perfectly seared, accompanied by slaw and an egg bun.

Pizza Delfina - nice relaxed, neighborhood atmosphere serving great pizza!

Zuni Cafe - a San Francisco establishment, with the attitude that goes with it. While the food was good, I'd go back to A16 first.


No comments:

Post a Comment