Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Seduced by Papillon


Faced with a Saturday night at home, an average movie and a couple of hours to kill, I decided to liven things up with Orin Swift's 2005 Papillon. This Bordeaux style blend from California was the second wine I purchased from the local CostCo (the first was The Prisoner - see my other post here). At $50, this bottle was a hefty one, both on the checkbook and physically. The bottle itself is the first thing you'll notice, a pound and a half heavier then most other 750 ml bottles, and sporting a unique label.

After reading other online reviews (YoungWinosOfLA), I thought it best to open the bottle, decant and let breath for a full hour before diving in. The first taste was intriguing - smooth, high in alcohol, with flavors still wound up into an indiscernible mass. After more time, and frequent tastings I found hints of caramel / toffee, vanilla, clove, plum, chocolate and something a bit funky / earthy. This was a big wine that needed several hours to fully open up and enjoy - definitely not for the faint of heart (or wallet).

I'll definitely buy a few more bottles for cellaring.


No comments:

Post a Comment