Saturday, December 12, 2009

Weekly Blog on Grant Family Farms CSA - Week26

A great CSA season comes to a close with week 26. As I look back over the last 26 weeks, we've had an amazing bounty of vegetables. While there were some weeks where I couldn't believe there was still more kale or cilantro, I was exposed to many things I've never cooked before, which expanded my cooking repertoire! Additionally, I learned about what grew in our Colorado seasons - so often we're disconnected from reality when we're buying tomatoes in December, forgetting they were trucked half way across the country. The flavors of locally grown tomatoes, allowed to ripen on the vine, then picked at their peak was unlike anything i've every experienced from a store bought tomato. Sometimes there was more food then I could handle (especially when I was traveling for business) - this taught me what needed to be eaten immediately versus what could survive in the fridge until I could get to it.


This week's harvest included:

  • Kambocha squash
  • Acorn squash
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes
  • Onions
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Diakon radish
  • Decorative corn
  • Beets
  • Cabbage
  • And Wine!
Thank you to Grant Family Farms for a great CSA experience - I'll be back next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment